What Is It Tubal Ligation?
Surgical procedure to separate and seal the fallopian tube
How Does It Work?
- Egg and sperm cannot meet
- Prevents fertilization
How Is It Used?
- Local or general anesthesia is used
- A surgical procedure is done to cut, clip or block the tubes
- This method is permanent
Some methods are more effective than others
- Does not interfere with sex
- May require a waiting period (Some restrictions related to age and number of previous pregnancies may apply depending on provider)
- Surgery may cause adverse reaction to anesthetic or infection and bleeding
- Temporary pain
- If pregnancy does happen, risk of tubal pregnancy is high. Any symptoms of pregnancy
should be reported to clinician immediately for evaluation
DOES NOT REDUCE RISK OF HIV/AIDS OR STDs